How to Turn Off the Computer Automatically
Many of us work late into the night in front of a computer or laptop, even fall asleep in front of a PC (Personal Computer) and forget to turn off the computer or laptop. This is not really a problem if it occurs only once or not too often, but if it happens every day it can certainly damage your computer and laptop, therefore we need to activate the shutdown timer on the PC so that it can automatically shutdown with the time we have specify it.
This feature or tool only exists on OS (Operating System) Windows, but there may also be other operating systems. We can use this shutdown timer tool to shut down the computer or laptop for a period of time that we have set in seconds, so if you want to shut down your computer in the next 1 hour you have to count the seconds 60 seconds x 60 minutes.
What if we set the wrong time and want to cancel this automatic shutdown? Take it easy, we can also cancel the automatic shutdown command and set the time again. This method is more practical and simple because you don’t need additional software to be installed on your PC. Well, for those who want to know how, please read below.
1. How to Shutdown the Computer Through CMD
There are several ways you can do to turn off / shutdown / log off / turn off your computer or laptop, one of which is by using CMD. The trick is as follows:
1. Click the Start button
2. Type CMD then Enter
3. Then in CMD type the following command.
4. Then press Enter
5. Then a notification will appear or a notification that the computer or laptop will be turned off within that time period, as shown below. Please close or just ignore it.
2. How to Shutdown the Computer Through Windows Run
The method is almost the same as the first, but in this way we don’t need to open the CMD first, we only need to press the Windows button on your keyboard and the R key simultaneously. Of course this method is more practical and easier. Immediately, read the tutorial below:
1. Press the button or the Windows logo + R simultaneously
2. Then a small box will appear as shown below
3. Enter the command like this.
4. Then press Enter or click Ok .
3. How to cancel the Shutdown command
Maybe you want to cancel the shutdown command for a number of reasons, for example, incorrectly setting the shutdown time, this can be overcome by canceling the shutdown command on the computer and rearranging the time schedule you have set. The method is as follows.
1. Please reopen CMD or Windows Run
2. Enter the following command.
3. Then press Enter or click Ok .
- f is a force that functions to force out the applications that are still running.
- s is a command to shutdown / turn off / logoff / turn off your computer or laptop.
- t is a timer or time specified by you.
- a is a command to cancel the shutdown command.
- 3600 is the length of time the computer / laptop is on / on, this is in units of seconds (3600 seconds: 60 seconds = 60 minutes) so in 1 hour the computer / laptop will shut down or automatically shutdown.
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
Those are some ways to turn off the computer automatically in windows, of course there are still other ways to automatically shutdown such as arranging a turn off schedule in the task manager but this method is more complicated than the way I wrote above.
Automatically Shutting Down Computers on Linux
For linux users, please try the following command in the terminal.
- -h is halt which functions to do shutdown command
- +60 is the time specified in minutes, meaning that the PC will automatically shutdown after 60 minutes.
- 12:00 is a predetermined time, this time adjusts to the time available on your PC, if the shutdown command is carried out at 10:00 then at 12:00 will automatically shutdown.
Do not close / close the terminal that is running this command.